Wednesday, July 14, 2010

The Grandmother God Gave Me


Have you ever watched a favorite movie, smelled a familiar scent, or heard a song that reminded you of someone special? For as long as I live, I will never be able to watch Coal Miner's Daughter, smell barbeque sauce, or listen to a Willie Nelson song without thinking of my sweet Grandmother. You see, she is the only grandparent I still have living; however, she's always been incredibly special to me. She's my Nan-Nan and by far the strongest woman I know. She has been through so very much in her lifetime, but always seemed to provide for my Mother and her siblings. Through her hardwork and most importantly, her faith, she has endured far more than anyone should.


When I was younger, Saturday mornings were spent at Nan-Nan's house. As I grew older, Sunday lunches became a weekly tradition and my most anticipated hour of the week. No matter the situation, Nan-Nan is always quick to give advice. Through her countless experiences in this crazy, mixed-up world, she has so much wisdom to offer. At times, that wisdom is the last thing anyone wants to hear, but it's always the wisdom that gets you through the hard times.


There are so many things I am thankful to Nan-Nan for, but the most valuable thing she has ever provided for me is my amazing Mother. Nan-Nan raised a strong, independent, and beautiful daughter that loves her family and her God more than anything in the world. The values Nan-Nan instilled in my Mother gave her the wisdom she needed to provide me with the amazing life I am living.


Thank you Lord for a grandmother and mother that never give up on me and love me no matter what!

No comments:

Post a Comment